Seaforth Highlanders 4th / 5th Territorial Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Regiment Cap Badge (1920-1946)

Seaforth Highlanders 4th / 5th Territorial Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Regiment Cap Badge (1920-1946)
additional image for 4th / 5th Territorial Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Regiment Cap Badge (1920-1946)
£26.99
28214-OA44 : £26.99
In Stock

Description

Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original 1920-1946 4th / 5th Territorial Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Regiment Cap Badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other 4th / 5th Territorial Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Regiment cap badges.


For more original cap badges for sale, click here.

The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) was a historic regiment of the British Army associated with large areas of the northern Highlands of Scotland. The Seaforth Highlanders have varied in size from two battalions to seventeen battalions during the Great War. After several mergers, The Seaforth Highlanders are now incorporated in the Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) Battalion of The Royal Regiment of Scotland. At the outbreak of the Great War, the 1st Battalion was serving in India. The 2nd Battalion was stationed at Shorncliffe Camp near Cheriton, Kent in southern England. The 2nd Battalion was sent to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF). As part of the 10th Brigade, 4th Division, it took part in the retreat from Le Cateau, the Battle of the Marne and the subsequent chase of the German forces to the River Aisne. In mid-September 1914, the battalion was heavily involved in the Battle of the Aisne, suffering heavy casualties including the CO). The 1st Battalion was returned from India, arriving in France in late 1914, and later took part in the Battle of Givenchy. During the war the three front line Territorial battalions of the regiment, 1/4th, 1/5th and 1/6th Battalions all served in the 51st (Highland) Division. Two service battalions, the 7th and 9th, served in the 9th (Scottish) Division and the 8th (Service) Battalion served in the 15th (Scottish) Division. The 1st Garrison Battalion served on the Salonika Front in the independent 228th Brigade. The 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion and the 2/4th, 3/4th, 2/5th, 3/5th, 2/6th, 3/6th and 10th (Reserve) Battalions did not serve overseas.

In 1940, the 6th Battalion was sent to France as part of the BEF. The Battalion was involved in the Blitzkrieg of May 1940, escaping through Dunkirk on 1 June after suffering significant losses. The 2nd and 4th Battalions were also part of the BEF in 1940 serving in the 51st (Highland) Division . The 5th Bn. of the Regiment was a territorial unit in both World Wars and recruited in the counties of Sutherland and Caithness. Instead of the Mackenzie tartan kilt and stag's head badge the battalion wore the Sutherland Kilt and the wildcat badge of the Clan Sutherland. The 2nd and 5th battalions formed part of 152 Brigade of the reconstituted 51st Highland Division, and served with distinction from El Alamein onwards through to the German surrender in Sicily. Subsequently 152 Brigade joined the D-day campaign from 7th June 1944 and served continuously until the capture of Bremen and VE-Day. Uniquely for a territorial battalion in World War II, the 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders was the subject of a battalion history, Battalion by Alistair Borthwick, which is a powerful testimony to the quality and sustained contribution of this distinguished unit. The 7th Bn. Seaforths served in Northwest Europe with the 15th (Scottish) Division.

Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other 4th / 5th Territorial Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Regiment cap badges.