Loyal Suffolk Hussars Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry Regiment Cap Badge

Loyal Suffolk Hussars Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry Regiment Cap Badge
additional image for Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry Regiment Cap Badge
£39.99
60210-MY07 : £39.99
In Stock

Description

Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry Regiment cap badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry Regiment cap badges.


For more original cap badges for sale, click here.

The Duke of Yorks Own Loyal Suffolk Hussars was a Yeomanry regiment of the British Army from 1794 to 1961. The 1/1st was embodied in August 1914 at Bury St. Edmunds and became part of the Eastern Mounted Brigade, 1st Mounted Division. In September 1915, they were dismounted and moved to the ANZAC bridgehead at Gallipoli and came under the command of the British 54th Division. After they were withdrawn from Gallipoli they moved to Egypt in December 1915, the first party being evacuated to Mudros on 14 December and the rest following five days later. They were next attached to the 3rd Dismounted Brigade on Suez Canal defences, from 22 February 1916. In January 1917, they were converted to an infantry battalion and formed the 15th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Battalion, the Suffolk Regiment in the 74th (Yeomanry) Division, which moved to France in May 1918. The 2nd Line regiment was formed in 1914 and by January 1915 it was in the 2/1st Eastern Mounted Brigade at Ely. On 31 March 1916, the remaining Mounted Brigades were ordered to be numbered in a single sequence; the brigade was numbered as 13th Mounted Brigade and joined 4th Mounted Division in the Wivenhoe area. In July 1916, the regiment was converted to a cyclist unit in 5th Cyclist Brigade, 2nd Cyclist Division, still in the Wivenhoe area.

In November 1916, the division was broken up and regiment was merged with the 2/1st Norfolk Yeomanry to form 7th (Suffolk and Norfolk) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment in 3rd Cyclist Brigade, in the Ipswich area. In March 1917 it resumed its identity as 2/1st Suffolk Yeomanry, still at Ipswich in 3rd Cyclist Brigade. By July 1917 the regiment had moved to Woodbridge. In May 1918 the regiment moved to Ireland and was stationed at Boyle and Collooney, still in 3rd Cyclist Brigade, until the end of the war. Prior to the Second World War, the Suffolk Hussars was amalgamated with the Norfolk Yeomanry and converted into 55th (Suffolk & Norfolk Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery. By 1939 it became clear that a new European war was likely to break out and, as a direct result of the German invasion of Czechoslovakia on 15 March, the doubling of the Territorial Army was authorised, with each unit and formation forming a duplicate. Consequently, the 65th (Suffolk & Norfolk Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery was formed as a duplicate. In 1942, the Suffolk batteries of each regiment were concentrated in the 55th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery (217th, 218th, 219th and 220th Batteries).

Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Loyal Suffolk Hussars Yeomanry Regiment cap badges.