Lowland Brigade Scottish Lowland Regiment Brigade Cap Badge

Lowland Brigade Scottish Lowland Regiment Brigade Cap Badge
additional image for Scottish Lowland Regiment Brigade Cap Badge
£17.99
27510-ZB51 : £17.99
In Stock

Description

Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Scottish Lowland Brigade Cap Badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other Scottish Lowland Brigade cap badges.


For more original cap badges for sale, click here.

The Lowland Brigade is a historical unit of the British Army which has been formed a number of times. It is traditionally Scottish as the name derives from the Scottish Lowlands.

After the Second World War the British Army had fourteen infantry depots, each bearing a letter. The depots were territorially organised, and Infantry Depot B was the headquarters for the Scottish lowland regiments.

In 1948, the depots adopted names and this depot became the Lowland Brigade, with all regiments being reduced to a single regular battalion at the same time. The Lowland Brigade was reformed on 14 July 1948, merging the depots of the following regiments:

The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment)
The Royal Scots Fusiliers
The King's Own Scottish Borderers
The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Under the Defence Review announced in July 1957, the infantry of the line was reorganised, leading to the transfer of the Highland Light Infantry from the Highland Brigade in 1958, and its amalgamation with the Royal Scots Fusiliers to form the Royal Highland Fusiliers on 20 January 1959.

In 1958 the regiments adopted a common cap badge. This depicted the saltire of St. Andrew, on which was superimposed a thistle within a circlet inscribed with motto of the Order of the Thistle, nemo me impune lacessit. From 1960 the Lowland Brigade was based at Glencorse Barracks.

The various Territorial Battalions that were also part of the four Lowland Regiments were split off in 1967 and grouped together, eventually forming the 52nd Lowland Volunteers.

The Brigade continued to administer the four regiments until 1968. On 14 May that year The Cameronians were disbanded, having chosen this option rather than amalgamation. On 1 July the Lowland Brigade was amalgamated with the Highland Brigade to form the Scottish Division.

Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other Scottish Lowland Brigade cap badges.