Shropshire Yeomanry Regiment Collar Badge

 Shropshire Yeomanry Regiment Collar Badge
E2A/127 : £14.99
In Stock


Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Shropshire Yeomanry Regiment collar badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Shropshire Yeomanry Regiment collar badges.
For more original collar badges for sale, click here. The Shropshire Yeomanry was a yeomanry regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1795, which served as a cavalry and dismounted infantry regiment in the First World War and as a cavalry and an artillery regiment in the Second World War. The Shropshire Yeomanry dates its origins to the French wars of 1793-1815, when volunteer cavalry units were raised throughout the country. They date their origins to the raising of the Wellington Troop in 1795. From 1814, the units had been clothed and trained as dragoons (mounted infantry). It was to prove a fortunate upbringing because the failure of the Regular Army to contain the Boer forces in the South African Campaign caused the Volunteer Cavalry to be called for overseas service in 1900. Volunteers from the Regiment formed the 13th (Shropshire) Company of the 5th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. Three contingents of 13/5 served in South Africa, earning the first Shropshire Yeomanry battle-honour, South Africa 1900-1902. In accordance with the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 (7 Edw.7, c.9) which brought the Territorial Force into being, the TF was intended to be a home defence force for service during wartime and members could not be compelled to serve outside the country. However, on the outbreak of war on 4 August 1914, many members volunteered for Imperial Service. Therefore, TF units were split in August and September 1914 into 1st Line (liable for overseas service) and 2nd Line (home service for those unable or unwilling to serve overseas) units. Later, a 3rd Line was formed to act as a reserve, providing trained replacements for the 1st and 2nd Line regiments. On 1 September 1939, the Shropshire Yeomanry was a Horsed Cavalry Regiment, but in 1940, the Regiment lost its horses and converted to artillery. "A" Squadron and H.Q. Squadron formed 101 and 102 Batteries of the 75th Medium Regiment, R.A. On 20 December 1942 the Regiment, equipped with 4.5" howitzers, left Liverpool for Durban and Suez, arriving on 14 April 1943. 101 Battery was re-equipped with 5.5 howitzers, whilst 102 kept its 4.5s. After intensive training, 101 battery moved through the desert to Tripoli, then went to Syracuse in Sicily and saw its first action. 102 Battery arrived in Sicily from Egypt on 7 August. The Regiment served through the Italian campaign, sometimes in support of the 5th Army, sometimes with the 8th Army (at least parof the time with 6 AGRA), and saw action in many notable battles. These included the third battle of Monte Cassino, operations against the Gustav Line and the breakthrough, operations against the Hitler Line, actions at Arezzo and the occupation of Florence and Forlė. The Regiment went on to serve in the Apennines against the Gothic Line and on to the final offensives of the 8th Army in Spring 1945. The end of the war found the 75th Medium Regiment in defensive positions facing Tito's Yugoslav army in Venezia Giulia. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Shropshire Yeomanry Regiment collar badges.