Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Hampshire Yeomanry Carabiniers Regiment Cap Badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other Hampshire Yeomanry Carabiniers Regiment cap badges.
For more original cap badges for sale, click here.
The Hampshire Yeomanry was a yeomanry cavalry regiment formed by amalgamating older units raised between 1794 and 1803 during the French Revolutionary Wars. It served in the Second Boer War, the First World War and the Second World War. The 1st Line regiment mobilized at Winchester in August 1914 as part of the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade and moved to the Portsmouth defences. In October it moved with the brigade to the Forest Row area, and in October 1915 to Eastbourne. In March 1916, the regiment was split up as divisional cavalry squadrons:
Regimental HQ and B Squadron joined 60th (2/2nd London) Division at Warminster on 26 April 1916 and landed at Le Havre on 25 June. Three days later, the RHQ joined IX Corps Cavalry Regiment along with C Squadron and A and B Squadrons, Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry at Bailleul. B Squadron was attached to XVII Corps Cavalry Regiment from 8 July and Cavalry Corps Troops from 5 September. It rejoined the regiment on 19 January 1917.
A Squadron joined 58th (2/1st London) Division at Ipswich on 21 March 1916. It moved to the Sutton Veny area in July 1916 and landed at Le Havre on 20 January 1917. Five days later it rejoined the regiment in IX Corps Cavalry Regiment at Bailleul.
C Squadron joined 61st (2nd South Midland) Division at Ludgershall on 18 March 1916 and landed at Le Havre on 25 May. From 31 May to 16 June it was attached to the 1st Cavalry Division before rejoining the regiment.
IX Corps Cavalry Regiment was formed on 28 June 1916 with the RHQ and C Squadron of the Hampshire Yeomanry, and A and B Squadrons, Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry at Bailleul. In November the Wiltshire squadrons departed and A and B Squadrons, Hampshire Yeomanry joined in January 1917 to complete the regiment.
The regiment left IX Corps on 25 July 1917 and on 26 August it was dismounted and sent to No. 3 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen for training as infantry. On 27 September 1917, 12 officers and 307 men were absorbed into the 15th (Service) Battalion (2nd Portsmouth), Hampshire Regiment at Caëstre which became 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. The Battalion was in 122nd Brigade, 41st Division. On 12 November 1917, it moved to the Italian Front with the division, arriving at Mantua on 17 November. It returned to the Western Front in between 1 and 5 May 1918 and remained there, in 122nd Brigade, 41st Division, until the end of the war. By the Armistice it was at Neukerke, south of Audenarde, Belgium.
At the end of the 1930s when war with Germany was again imminent, it was decided that the 95th Brigade would become an Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment and was redesignated the 72nd (Hampshire) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery in which one battery, 217 H.A.A. Battery, was designated the "Hampshire Carabiniers". On the outbreak of war they were deployed to protect the docks and staging areas along the South Coast. By 1942, once the Battle of Britain was over, the Regiments was transferred overseas and served in the North African and Italian Campaigns with the 8th Army.
Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Hampshire Yeomanry Carabiniers cap badges.