Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment Cap Badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment cap badges.
For more original cap badges for sale, click here.
The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) was an infantry regiment of the line of the British Army. It served under various titles from 1680 to 1959. Its lineage is continued today by the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment. The regiment was raised on 13 July 1680, as the 2nd Tangier, or Earl of Plymouth's Regiment of Foot. It saw service for nearly three centuries. In 1751, after various name changes, the regiment was titled the 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot. The regiment retained this title until the Childers Reforms of 1881, when it became The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). In 1921, it was re-designated The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster).
The following battalions of the King's Own served during World War I 1st Battalion: landed in France with the 4th Division of the British Expeditionary Force. 2nd Battalion: returned from India and served with the 28th Division in Salonika. 3rd (Reserve) Battalion: remained in the UK and supplied drafts to the Regular Battalions overseas. 1/4th Battalion: mobilised in the 164th (North Lancashire) Brigade of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division; temporarily attached to 154th (3rd Highland) Brigade in 51st (Highland) Division and landed in France in May 1915; returned to 164 Bde in January 1916. 1/5th Battalion: mobilised in the 164th (North Lancashire) Brigade of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division; landed in France in February 1915 and temporarily attached to 28th Division and 1st Division; returned to 55th Division (166th (South Lancashire) Brigade) in January 1916. 2/4th Battalion: formed September 1914 as a second-line duplicate of 1/4th Bn; became 4th (Reserve) Bn and absorbed 5th (Reserve) Bn 1916; stationed in Dublin from June 1918. 2/5th Battalion: formed September 1914 as a second-line duplicate of 1/5th Bn; attached to the 164th (North Lancashire) Brigade of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division February 1915, then to 170th (2/1st North Lancashire) Brigade of 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division; landed in France February 1917.
The following battalions served during World War II: 1st Battalion was stationed in Malta on the outbreak of war, moving to Karachi in British India at the end of 1939. It subsequently served in Iraq and Syria with 25th Indian Infantry Brigade of 10th Indian Infantry Division. In August 1942, the battalion embarked from Egypt for Cyprus, but the transport was torpedoed and the troops had to return and re-embark later. In May 1943, 1st Bn returned to Syria, and then it joined 234th Brigade in the Aegean Islands in October 1943. Here, the bulk of the battalion was captured by the Germans on 16 November, after the Battle of Leros. It was reformed in 25th Indian Bde by amalgamating with 8th Bn King's Own and later served in the Italian campaign. 2nd Battalion formed part of the British garrison of Jerusalem when war broke out. It joined 14th Brigade in Palestine in March 1940 and moved with it to Egypt in July. The battalion served with 16th Brigade of 6th Division (later redesignated 70th Division) in the Defence of Tobruk and later formed part of the garrison of Ceylon. In September 1943, the battalion was stationed with 70th Division at Bangalore in India when it was selected for attachment to the second Long Range Penetration or Chindit brigade (111th Indian Infantry Brigade) for the Burma Campaign.
Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment cap badges.