Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Regiment collar badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Regiment collar badges.
For more original collar badges for sale, click here.
On the outbreak of war on 4 August 1914, many members of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars volunteered for Imperial Service. Therefore, TF units were split in August and September 1914 into 1st Line (liable for overseas service) and 2nd Line (home service for those unable or unwilling to serve overseas) units. Later, a 3rd Line was formed to act as a reserve, providing trained replacements for the 1st and 2nd Line regiments. On 15 April 1915, the RGH sailed to Egypt and was almost immediately dispatched as dismounts to Gallipoli. On returning to Egypt, it took part in many of the battles that formed the Sinai and Palestine Campaign, primarily as part of the Imperial Mounted Division, including the Battle of Beersheba. The 2nd Line regiment was formed at Gloucester in September 1914. In April 1915, it joined the 2/1st South Midland Mounted Brigade at Cirencester and, in June moved to north Norfolk where the brigade joined the 2/2nd Mounted Division. In March 1916, the brigade was designated as 10th Mounted Brigade and the division as 3rd Mounted Division. In July 1916, the regiment was converted to a cyclist unit in 8th Cyclist Brigade, 2nd Cyclist Division, initially in Kent then at Ipswich. In November 1916, the division was broken up and regiment was merged with the 2/1st Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars to form 12th (Gloucestershire and Worcestershire) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment in 4th Cyclist Brigade at Ipswich. In March 1917, it resumed its identity as 2/1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. In July 1917, it moved to Wivenhoe and in January 1918 to Clacton. About April 1918, the regiment moved to Ireland and was stationed at Dublin, where it remained, still in 4th Cyclist Brigade, until the end of the war. The 3rd Line regiment was formed in 1915; in the summer it was affiliated to a Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth. In the summer of 1916, it was affiliated to the 4th Reserve Cavalry Regiment, still at Tidworth. Early in 1917 it was absorbed into the 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment, also at Tidworth.
During the Second World War 1st RGH guarded the South West of England after Dunkirk. Due to leave for Africa as part of 6th Armoured Division, a last minute change saw the unit spend the majority of the war as a UK Defence / Training regiment. After VJ Day, 1st RGH was sent to Austria, where it took part in the Musical Ride at the Schenbrunn Palace in Vienna. 2nd RGH reached Egypt in October 1941 as part of 22nd Armoured Brigade. The unit took part in many of the key battles in Operation Crusader. In subsequent engagements, the RGH suffered many casualties and was re-equipped on two occasions. 2nd RGH fought its final action at Battle of Alam el Halfa, on 31 August to 5 September 1942. Expecting to be re-equipped, the regiment was instead disbanded with 'F', 'G' and 'H' Squadrons transferred to the 4th Hussars, Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and the 8th Hussars respectively. HQ Squadron was divided between the 5th Royal Tank Regiment and the 3rd Hussars.
Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Regiment collar badges.