Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original WW1 South Nottinghamshire Hussars Regiment collar badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other South Nottinghamshire Hussars Regiment collar badges.
For more original collar badges for sale, click here.
The South Nottinghamshire Hussars were a unit of the British Army formed as volunteer cavalry in 1794. Converted to artillery in 1922, it now forms a battery of a Territorial Army regiment. In accordance with the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 (7 Edw.7, c.9) which brought the Territorial Force into being, the TF was intended to be a home defence force for service during wartime and members could not be compelled to serve outside the country. However, on the outbreak of war on 4 August 1914, many members volunteered for Imperial Service. Therefore, TF units were split in August and September 1914 into 1st Line (liable for overseas service) and 2nd Line (home service for those unable or unwilling to serve overseas) units. Later, a 3rd Line was formed to act as a reserve, providing trained replacements for the 1st and 2nd Line regiments. The 1st was formed in Nottingham in April 1908 at the creation of the new Territorial Force and became part of the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Mounted Brigade which was a component of the 1st Mounted Division. It became the 1/1st in 1914 when the TF created its second-line units. The Brigade was transferred to serve with the 2nd Mounted Division, and saw service in the Gallipoli Campaign, In 1916 the Division was broken up and the Brigade was re designated the 7th Mounted Brigade and moved to Salonika in 1917. They returned to Egypt in June 1917 where they were attached to the Desert Mounted Corps, until April 1918, when they left the Brigade, and were dismounted to form B Battalion, Machine Gun Corps with the Warwickshire Yeomanry. They left Egypt for France, arriving in June 1918. The 2/1st was formed in September 1914 and converted in July 1916 into a cyclist unit. It remained in Britain throughout the war as part of 2/2nd Mounted Division. The 3/1st was formed in May 1915. They remained in United Kingdom until October 1916, when moved to Ireland. In February 1917 they were absorbed into the 2nd Cavalry Reserve Regiment.
Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other South Nottinghamshire Hussars Regiment collar badges.