Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Kings Shropshire Light Infantry Regiment collar badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other King's Shropshire Light Infantry Regiment collar badges.
For more original collar badges for sale, click here.
The King's Light Infantry (Shropshire Regiment) was formed on July 1, 1881, as the county regiment of Herefordshire and Shropshire as part of the Childers Reforms. It was renamed as The King's (Shropshire Light Infantry) in March 1882. The regiment was an amalgamation of the 53rd (Shropshire) Regiment of Foot and the 85th (King's Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot, which became the regular 1st and 2nd Battalions. The 1881 reforms also redesignated the militia and rifle volunteers units within the regimental district as battalions of the regiment. Accordingly the Shropshire Militia and Royal Herefordshire Militia became the 3rd and 4th (Militia) Battalions respectively, and the 1st and 2nd Shropshire Rifle Volunteer Corps became the 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalions. The 1st Herefordshire (Herefordshire and Radnorshire) Rifle Volunteer Corps was also affiliated as a volunteer battalion, without change of title. In 1908 the Territorial Force was formed, the two militia battalions were merged to form the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion and the 1st and 2nd VBs were merged to form the 4th Battalion (TF). At the same time, the Herefordshire RVC became an independent territorial Herefordshire Regiment. The regiment was greatly expanded during the First World War with 13 battalions serving in various theatres. In 1921 the regiment was renamed as The King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
The KSLI again formed additional battalions during the Second World War, although not on the same scale as the previous conflict. In 1948 the KSLI was reduced to one regular battalion and became part of the Light Infantry Brigade, and in 1968 the four regiments of the Brigade (the KSLI, Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and Durham Light Infantry) amalgamated to form The Light Infantry, with the 1st KSLI being redesignated as the 3rd Battalion of the new regiment. The KSLI served with distinction in Egypt in 1882, the Eastern Sudan, 1885-86 and in all the major campaigns of the 20th Century, including the Second Boer War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and other tours. Notably it was a member of the KSLI who was recorded as the first British Army casualty of the Second World War, killed in France during the 'Phoney War' period - Corporal Thomas Priday was killed by a German landmine near Metz on 9 December 1939 when 1 KSLI was based near the Maginot Line as part of the original British Expeditionary Force. Remarkably, it was also members of the KSLI who were part of the operation to arrest Grand-Admiral Karl Donitz, successor to Hitler, at the very end of the war. The second battalion began the war in Jamaica, with a company detached to Bermuda Garrison.
Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other King's Shropshire Light Infantry Regiment collar badges.