South Lancashire WW2 South Lancashire Regiment Cap Badge

South Lancashire WW2 South Lancashire Regiment Cap Badge
additional image for WW2 South Lancashire Regiment Cap Badge
£9.99
26311-HY55 : £9.99
In Stock

Description

Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original South Lancashire Regiment Cap Badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other South Lancashire cap badges.


For more original cap badges for sale, click here.

The South Lancashire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Volunteers) was a regiment of the British Army from 1881 to 1958. It was formed as part of the Childers reforms as the Prince of Wales's Volunteers Regiment (South Lancashire Regiment) by the amalgamation of the 40th (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot and the 82nd (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) Regiment of Foot. In 1938, it was renamed the South Lancashire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Volunteers) and in 1958 was amalgamated with The East Lancashire Regiment to form The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers). During the First World War the 1st Battalion spent the war on garrison duty in Quetta, Baluchistan, on the North-West Frontier. The 2nd Battalion spent the entire war on the Western Front. The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion was a depot and training battalion stationed in Lancashire thoroughout the war. The Territorial and war-service battalions fought on the Western Front, in Mesopotamia, Gallipoli and Macedonia. Among its officers was future Prime Minister Clement Attlee, who served with the regiment at Gallipoli and was later wounded while serving in Mesopotamia and again on the Western Front.

In WW2 the 1st Battalion was shipped to France on the outbreak of war as part of the 4th Infantry Division, British Expeditionary Force, returning to England via Dunkirk in 1940, when it became part of the 3rd Infantry Division. With this Division, it landed at Sword Beach on D-Day and fought its way through the Normandy, the Netherlands and later the invasion of Germany. The 2nd Battalion was in Bombay in 1939, being transported back to England in July 1940 to defend Britain against the expected German invasion. In 1942, it was part of Force 121, which invaded Madagascar in order to prevent use of the island by the Japanese. From April 1944 until the end of the war, it fought in the recapture of Burma. Immediately after the war, the 1st Battalion served in Egypt and Palestine before being reduced to a cadre and alamgamated with the 2nd Battalion at Trieste in 1948. The surviving 1st Battalion saw further service in the Sudan, England, Berlin and Hong Kong where, in 1958, it was amalgamated with 1st Battalion, The East Lancashire Regiment, to form 1st Battalion, The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers).

Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other South Lancashire Regiment cap badges.