Border Regiment WW2 The Border Regiment Cap Badge

Border Regiment WW2 The Border Regiment Cap Badge
additional image for WW2 The Border Regiment Cap Badge
£11.99
24411-YA85 : £11.99
Sorry this item is out of stock, PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BAR ABOVE TO FIND OUR CURRENT STOCK OF THESE BADGES.

Description

Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Border Regiment Cap Badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other Border Regiment Cap badges.


For more original cap badges for sale, click here.

The Border Regiment was an infantry regiment of the line in the British Army, which was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 34th (Cumberland) Regiment of Foot and the 55th (Westmorland) Regiment of Foot. After service in the First and Second World Wars, it was amalgamated into The King's Own Royal Border Regiment in 1959. Its lineage is continued today by the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment. The regiment was formed on 1 July 1881 as part of the Childers Reforms. Under the reforms, each line infantry regiment was to have a defined regimental district, with two regular battalions sharing a single permanent depot. At any one time, one battalion was to be on foreign service and one on "home" service. In the case of the Border Regiment, the regimental district comprised the counties of Cumberland and Westmorland, with the depot established at Carlisle Castle. The outbreak of the Second Anglo-Boer War in 1899 found the British Army overstretched, and the 1st Battalion was one of many "home service" units dispatched to fight in the conflict. The Battalion saw action at Colenso and Spion Kop as part of the campaign to relieve Ladysmith.

In common with other infantry regiments, the Border Regiment was increased in size for the duration of the 1914-1918 war by the creation of additional battalions, either by the duplication of the existing territorial units or by the raising of new "service" battalions. The 1st Battalion formed part of the British Expeditionary Force in Europe from 1939-1940. Following the Battle of France, they were evacuated from Dunkirk. They remained in the United Kingdom until 1943 before taking part in the final stages of the Tunisia Campaign. Re-equipped as a glider-borne unit, they became part of the 1st Airborne Division. In this role they took part in the Allied invasion of Sicily and Operation Market Garden. The 2nd Battalion was in India on the outbreak of war. In 1942 they moved to Ceylon and later taking part in the Burma Campaign. In 1941, the 5th Battalion was converted to armour as the 110th Regiment Royal Armoured Corps. They continued to wear their Border cap badge on the black beret of the RAC. 110 RAC was disbanded in 1943, and 5th Bn Border Regiment was reconstituted in April 1944 by redesignation of 7th Border, a reserve battalion serving in 213th Infantry Brigade It spent the rest of the war as a training battalion.

Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military cap badges for sale including other Border Regiment Cap badges.